Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ad for an Ad




Posted by : Krishnashis

In today's Brand Equity, have you guys seen the print ad of Mathrubhumi?

Before attending the IMC classes I hardly used to criticize any advertisement, be it a TVC or a print ad. After seeing you people taking so much interest in critical-analysis of any ad, I thought this ad would be a good one for a discussion.

I find this one as a wonderful ad. Firstly, the media chosen for this ad is a brilliant one. I have searched for the same ad on the net, but they have not published this ad anywhere else, till yet.

This ad preaches for the advertisements to be given to their daily. So the target group is obviously the Sales/Marketing managers of the corporates who will ultimately decide where to put their ad up. And for them ET no-doubt is the best media to talk to.

Next comes the content of the ad. Like the 'bizarre' ads from Bingo, this ad also does not directly talk to the need. Rather it compells the reader to interpret it in a different manner.

The first noticeable thing is the very un-common picture which would definitely create a little curiosity to read it through. then comes the well-versed communication message.

I invite your comments on this ad as a successful/unsuccessful marketing communication.
...................................................................................
P.S. - Besides the quality of the advertisement, this ad made me search through the net for an other reason.I read about the Onam and the story behind it.
The story I knew about the Ramayana is something like this - while heading towards Shri Lanka ,in the midway of his journey (may be some where in Kerala) Lord Rama identified a stone in the midst of the forest, touched it with his feet and brought life to Ahalya, the lady who was turned into a stone due to some curse.
But you know, the sagas have always over-glorified their own heroes, so is the Malayalee one. As per the Keralian mythology, it was the great king Maveli, and not Lord Rama who brought life back to Ahalya, the Malayalee Princess.
Now it is up to you which one of these two stories you will tell to your grandchildren. :)

3 comments:

  1. Woho!! What a great ad to discuss upon...Good opening move Krishnashish..
    Well to frankly say i dint understand much of the ad.. The theme or the motive is intriguing but not clear perhaps..
    Mathrubhumi is a real pioneer among malyalam newspapers.. so to question their creativity or for say the ideation would be a little boorish..
    But please let me knw what one interprets frm the ad.. For me its like a stupid story telling..

    And @ the story of ahalya..
    I hope we wud hv better stories to tell our grandchildrens ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your urge to write a comment, though with a little venom inside, on my post.

    The thing is that, I did never question the creativity of the advertising team of Mathrubhumi, rather I had appreciated it and that was the post all about, talking how wonderful it is!

    Anyway, I always admire opinions from matured brains. I really do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!! Well frankly speaking there was no pun in any of my statement.. I really appreciated this take of yours.. There had been a slight misinterpretation, may be..
    This ad is very catchy and who so reads the Brand Equity would surely have been through this..
    And what i expected from my post was to get some clear ideas as well as understanding of fellow comrades..
    Hope people post in their views..
    Thanks..
    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete